Before we get to the review of the plate and the video, I would like to share the chance for you to get some free steel of your very own from MK Machining. Shoot Selly@rankmediaagency.com an email and let them know Atticus sent you!
First I would like to say thank you to MK Machining for shipping us out this 66% IPSC AR500 3/8” thick steel plate for this review.
As most of you know, I prefer to shoot steel while I am reviewing guns so you can hear the hits. Rather than trying to publish an “ad” for MK Machining, I wanted to share the guns that we like to shoot from 10 to 50 yards at the steel.
I like to base all of my AR500 3/8 thick steel safety against this instruction list right here.
This list is the bible when it comes to shooting this steel. It clearly out-lines what you shouldn’t do.
8. 3/8” thick targets are intended for use with handgun, rifle, and supersonic rimfire cartridges as well as shotgun birdshot, buckshot and slugs only at appropriate distances described below.
9. 15 yards is the minimum shooting distance when using non-magnum class handgun, supersonic .22LR rimfire, and shotgun birdshot ammunition.
10. 25 yards is the minimum shooting distance when using shotgun buckshot.
11. 50 yards is the minimum shooting distance when using magnum class handgun ammunition, and shotgun slugs.
12. 100 yards is the minimum shooting distance when using standard rifle ammunition under 2,500 fps upon impact and less than 3000 ft/lb of energy upon impact.
13. 250 yards is the minimum shooting distance when using magnum class rifle ammunition under 2,500 fps upon impact and less than 3000 ft/lb of energy upon impact.
As you can see in the video, we shoot everything from .22LR up to .300BLK and 7.62x39mm at a safe distance. I also said in the video that 5.56/.223 is a 100 yard minimum safe distance round and when it comes to my .308s and the long barrels even that can be 150-200 yard for safe shooting.
AR500 is a common steel and a great thing to have on your range and you can find it from great manufactures like MKMachining.com.
Steel can be dangerous but with the right guidelines and proper care, steel can be your greatest shooting ally.
Working on the pros and cons of the IWI Galil ACE in .308. I still cannot decide how i really feel about this gun. on one hand I like it but on the other I have big things I don’t like. What do you think?
Sadly one of the GEARS Crew lives in California and is subjected to these pointless laws. Mean Arms has found a new solution to replace the bullet button. I haven’t had a chance to see them, as I was not at the NRAAM this year. I wouldn’t be opposed to testing one out in the future. That is enough talking, lets jump into the video.
They are making this for .308 ARs and RR has this in .50BMG
SHOT Show stands for Shooting Hunting Outdoor Trade Show, it is held at the Sands Convention Center at the Venetian Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas NV, USA. It is a private INDUSTRY ONLY show. As media, we are invited to come out and see all the new firearms in the Industry so we may bring you the viewer new content. This video is from Industry Day, also known as Media Day. This is our “first day” where we get to shoot all different firearms, ammo, accessories, etc. It is a really fun day to try many different types of firearms from skeet shooting to full auto. Tomorrow starts the first official day of the trade show.