The most important thing you should always keep in mind is that guns can be dangerous if used improperly. But if you understand the basic safety rules any level shooter can have a great and safe time shooting! Here are the 10 basic rules of gun safety you should know before you pick up a firearm.
1. Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
3. Always keep your finger off the trigger till you are ready to shoot.
4. Always keep the firearm unloaded till you are ready to shoot.
5. Never point your firearm at anything you don’t intend on destroying.
6. ALWAYS know what is behind your target.
7. Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are shooting and what you are shooting at is important to maintain proper gun safety.
8. Always wear safety protection (safety glasses and eye protection)
9. Know and understand how your firearm operates.
10. When finished shooting always check and clear your firearm. (Rule 1 ALWAYS applies. NO EXCEPTIONS)